Tuesday 6 October 2009

Jargon - mumbo jumbo or valid language?

After digesting the Childlink glossary (posted by Ihar), and the comment (on Ihar's blog) left by Lin, I have settled on the conclusion that there is a difference between jargon and terminology. This, I hasten to add, is my personal opinion based on a minimal amount of information.

My Dad, who was a wizz with all things mechanical, technological and worked within and alongside engineering teams on some pretty large scale projects, was a stickler for terminology. If an item of machinery had a specific name, then use it. If you required the precise tool to complete a task, ask for it by its correct name. He was very much of the opinion that using the correct terminology reduced confusion and promoted good working practice. An opinion I share. Surely if a surgeon needs a scalpel, he asks for a scalpel, not for 'one of those sharp pointy things'. A flippant example, but you get what I mean. This is what I would class as terminology. Relating this to Early Years, I feel that it is just as important. Possibly to persons not working within a school / social work setting an IEP is just three meaningless letters. For teachers and parents involved with a child with an IEP it is self explanatory. It is using the correct name for the tool.

Jargon, to me, is used to confuse people. My Nan, who is 83 years young, very often asks me to explain her mail to her because of all the "gobbledygook". Often, once all the 'jargon' has been filtered, the letters are self-explanatory. I believe that it is a tactic used to confuse, worry and often intimidate people. For example (using terminology relating to early years), if a parent was to receive communication from a school reading...

...following the LISM regarding the SpLD of 'X', it is the intention of the school to introduce 'X' to the SENCo. Inline with DSCF guidelines an IEP will be formulated for 'X'. Your assigned IPS will contact you shortly...

...it would be fair to assume that some degree of confusion and uncertainty would be felt. Although the intention of the school would be to inform not perplex, using the correct terminology in this instance would possibly not be the most effective procedure.

I'm in agreement with Lin, that 'dumbing down' of the terminology used is counter productive to the training of new teachers / social workers etc... however, I think that differentiation between terminology and jargon needs to be identified and integrated into the learning of communication practices.

Returning to the title of this blog, I think I have expressed my view (which will be subject to change following further reading) on jargon / terminology. However, there is a generation that has developed it's own language - text (or txt) speak. Is this form of language soon to be incorporated into everyday language? mmm.... i'd best sign off before I head off at a tangent that I don't think I need to.

2 comments:

  1. agree......off to blog my agreance (is that a word?).....x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a very nice style of writing, Claire - discursive prose ))
    It reminded me one of the rules of homiletics - art of preaching. One of the traditionally recommended forms for sermons is offering a story, an example and develop a thought/teaching out of it. Not that the story is important, no - the message, but the story stirs imagination and draws attention.
    And you are right - there is no justification for non-functional jargon.

    ReplyDelete