Sunday 29 March 2009

'culture'

After doing the obligatory weekend tidy up, I walked into my dining room to be met by a scene that was, well, surreal to say the least. For some reason something that Lin had said to us on Friday popped into my mind - how would a snapshot of our home depict our culture (as in family culture), well, I'll describe;

The dog, dressed in a green stripy tee-shirt was barking frantically at the cat, who not to be outdone was sporting a rather striking pink scrunchy on his tail. The reason for the barking was that the cat was perched upon the guinea pig cage, who was in turn squeaking heartily as his food bowl was empty. The guinea pig, who's haircut is far overdue, was attempting to retreat into his house but was being stopped by doing so by a huge raffia carrot. Meanwhile, my son and husband, oblivious to all the commotion were deep in discussion about whether a salivating , sonar detecting alien dog would be better at trapping a ten foot mutated frog than a bright red, four armed, four eyed strong man.
Slowly I placed my cuppa down and began to retreat from this parallel universe I had unwittingly stumbled into only to be halted by my son who looked at me quizzically and said "Are you alright mummy, you look a bit weird"!

2 comments:

  1. that is such a lovely story!!!!! can I come for tea one day !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this.....sounds all ridiculously normal to me!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete